What is childcare, and what does childcare training entail?
Childcare is a broad term that refers to the activities performed by parents and caregivers in the process of meeting children’s needs. These needs range from basic physical needs, such as the need to be clothed and fed, to more complex needs, such as the need for intellectual stimulation, affection, and opportunities for self-actualisation.
Childcare training, then, is focused on equipping caregivers with the knowledge and skills that they need to meet the various needs of the children under their care. Some of the topics typically covered during a childcare training course include:
- How to bath a child
- How to feed a child (including how to meet a child’s nutritional needs)
- How to communicate with a child
- How to show affection to a child
- How to provide a safe and secure environment for a child
- How to stimulate a child’s development through play
- How to react in an emergency situation involving a child
- How to treat a child’s minor wounds, such as cuts and bruises
- How to tell when a child may be showing signs of developmental problems
Where can I study a childcare training course via distance learning?
You can study a childcare course from home via distance learning with Oxbridge Academy. The courses you can choose from include the following:
Short Learning Programmes
These non-credit bearing skills courses are designed to equip you with fundamental skills in childcare, and will introduce you to basic elements of childhood development. These courses are a good choice if you want to learn more about childcare, and if you want to acquire the basic skills you need to work as a nanny, childminder, or babysitter.
National Qualifications (ECD Courses):
These formal qualifications are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF), and are designed to prepare you for a career in the ECD environment. These courses are a good choice if you want to work in a child day care centre or ECD centre, work as an au pair, or start up your own child day care centre.
- National Certificate: N4 Educare (SAQA ID 66883)
- National Certificate: N5 Educare (SAQA ID 66971)
- National Certificate: N6 Educare (SAQA ID 67007)
By studying one of these courses, you can gain the skills that you need to provide basic childcare to children of various ages. To find out more about studying one of these courses, simply fill in the form below, and a Student Advisor will get back to you shortly:
Please note: if you want to work in a formal ECD environment, you will need to study towards the relevant ECD qualifications.
Did you know? When you study childcare with Oxbridge Academy:
- You have access to academic support from an industry-expert tutor via telephone and e-mail.
- You receive all of your study material as part of your course fee (so that you don’t have to spend any extra money on textbooks).
- You are given the option to pay for your course fees in affordable monthly instalments.