Government and Public Administration Job Descriptions
Jobs in government and public administration are generally concerned with the implementation of public policy at the national, provincial and local levels of government. As such, government and public administration jobs are diverse in nature, and can cover areas such as finance, human resources, taxation, information technology, law, public health, and social services.
Some examples of the types of jobs that are available include the following:
Job Description: In the public sector, contract administrators are responsible for negotiating, drafting, overseeing the implementation of, and ensuring compliance with government contracts.
- Draft contracts and ensure that they are signed by all relevant parties.
- Maintain contract files (which should include the original contract, all amendments to the contract, and copies of all correspondence relating to the contract).
- Report on the status of contracts.
- Ensure compliance with contracts.
- Review contracts and make submissions regarding the renewal or termination of contracts.
- Assess and manage risk in relation to contracts.
- Handle all disputes that arise from contracts.
Job Description: Court administrators, or court clerks, provide administrative assistance to the presiding officers (judges and magistrates) in courts of law.
- Schedule court appearances.
- Maintain court records.
- Handle enquiries from the public.
- Issue documents such as subpoenas and arrest warrants.
- Send out court orders.
- Oversee the collection of fees, costs, and fines.
- Assist in maintaining court budgets.
Job Description: In the public sector, IT managers are responsible for developing and implementing IT policies and strategies in line with government objectives.
- Recruit, train and supervise IT staff.
- Ensure efficiency and effectiveness by developing IT strategies to meet government needs.
- Ensure that adequate IT security measures are in place.
- Develop and implement back-up procedures and disaster recovery systems.
- Participate in IT audits.
- Manage the IT budget.
- Stay up to date with new developments in IT by conducting research and attending workshops.
Public Sector Accountant
Job Description: Public sector accountants aim to improve the public service by providing accounting and other financial services to organisations within the public sector.
- Prepare financial statements.
- Compile financial reports.
- Monitor cash flow.
- Review budgets and allocate funds as required.
- Manage financial systems.
- Develop and implement internal controls.
- Provide cost and risk management advice.
These are just a few examples of the types of jobs that are available in government and public administration. Nonetheless, the job descriptions provided above should give you some idea of the type of work you can expect to find in the public sector.
For more information about career opportunities, training options and skills requirements in the public sector, please click on the following link: Public Management and Administration Careers