What Does a Supply Chain Manager Do?
Supply chain managers have huge responsibilities. They are engaged in every aspect of the business process: from planning, buying, producing, and storing goods to ensuring that goods are transported properly and that high levels of customer service are maintained.
Depending on the company that you work for, your responsibilities as a supply chain manager can vary. The types of activities that you will generally be required to perform, however, include the following:
- Manage relationships with suppliers.
- Maintain good customer care relations with all clients and customers
- Plan and discuss delivery schedules with the relevant parties
- Manage the ordering process of goods
- Oversee the packaging process
- Motivate staff members and ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities
- Put measures in place to ensure that targets are met
- Ensure that there are effective and efficient transport practices in place
As a supply chain manager, you function as an important link between the various departments in an organisation. The work that you do can also help an organisation to control expenses, boost sales, and maximise profits.
Let’s look at the working environment:
According to wetfeet.com: Supply chain managers seek to create what ants do naturally: They attempt to integrate and optimize all the steps required to produce the right amount of the right product and deliver it to the end user at the right time. In other words, supply chain management (SCM) is involved in every aspect of getting products to customers, from raw materials to consumption.
Your working hours are therefore likely to vary from one job role to another. The industry is fast paced and often requires a lot of planning and administrative work to ensure that all the correct measures and systems are in place. As a manager, you will often have to put in longer hours at the office or warehouse than the regular employees.
Because the industry is fast paced, you will be working to tight deadlines, and this means that your job is likely to be quite stressful.
Where can I get the necessary training to work as a supply chain manager?
You can get the training you need by studying a distance learning course at Oxbridge Academy. By studying a distance learning course, you will have the chance to study without having to attend any classes or lectures. You will be able to complete your studies without having to give up a full-time job and without having to neglect your family responsibilities.
You can choose from the following supply chain, logistics and shipping courses at Oxbridge Academy:
Oxbridge Academy Skills Courses
- Oxbridge Academy Certificate: Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Oxbridge Academy Certificate: Intermediate Logistics and Supply Chain Management