What is restaurant management?
Restaurant management refers to the process of making sure that a restaurant is run profitably, efficiently, and in compliance with the relevant health and safety regulations. Restaurant managers are therefore responsible for a wide variety of tasks relating to:
- Financial management (planning, budgeting, forecasting and reporting)
- Marketing management (attracting new customers and retaining existing customers)
- HR management (hiring, training and supervising restaurant staff)
- Customer service management (ensuring customer satisfaction and resolving customer complaints)
- Health and safety compliance
- Quality control (making sure that food is properly prepared and presented)
Why should you study restaurant management?
You don’t need a formal qualification to work in restaurant management. However, a restaurant manager’s position comes with a high level of responsibility, and many of a restaurant manager’s duties are fairly advanced. For this reason, many employers prefer to hire managers with a good combination of formal training and experience.
Formal training in restaurant management will not only increase your likelihood of finding a job, but will also help you to work your way up to a senior management position more quickly.
Here is a brief description of what you can expect from a restaurant management course:
A restaurant management course will generally equip you with a sound theoretical foundation in restaurant and hospitality management, and will give you the opportunity to acquire relevant skills in HR management, financial management and customer service management.
A restaurant management course will teach you about:
- The duties of a restaurant manager
- The customer reception cycle
- Restaurant control structures
- Staff training and supervision
- Hygiene and food safety
- The principles of sound restaurant management
- The principles of sound customer service management
Depending on which restaurant management course you choose to study, you may also learn about business strategy and marketing management.
Restaurant management courses at Oxbridge Academy
You can study the following restaurant management course via distance learning at Oxbridge Academy:
This restaurant management course will equip you with the basic knowledge and skills that you need to pursue a career in restaurant management. By studying this course from home via distance learning, you will be able to work and gain experience while you study.
To find out more about studying restaurant and hospitality management at Oxbridge Academy, simply fill in the form below, and a Student Advisor will give you a call: